Monday, September 28, 2015

Night flying currency

I hadn't flown at night for a few months, so, on the first night of daylight savings time, it was time to go for some night flying. The flying consisted of a few dual circuits with an instructor, followed by 4 or 5 by myself.

The weather was about as perfect as you'd get in Wellington, with a very gentle breeze, probably only 1-3 knots [2-5 km/hr] of crosswind, no cloud and a bright full moon.

Actually, that moon was so bright it was almost cheating - dark yes, but so bright that I noticed a shadow from the moon light after takeoff a couple of times! Flights this evening were in the Club's Cessna 172N, ZK-FLT.

Before going I took a few photos. The first two are from my DSLR and the last one is from my phone. I'm both surprised the phone photo turned out so good [since I was holding the phone] and at the same time, not at all surprised that it is actually pretty rubbish :-(

Anyway, here we go.

View across the apron to the main terminal. Left-centre is Cessna 172N, ZK-FLT, operated by Wellington Aero Club

View across the apron to the rescue fire station. Right-centre is Cessna 172N, ZK-FLT, operated by Wellington Aero Club

Another view across to the main terminal. The blur in the centre is ZK-FLT airborne after a touch and go.

No comments: