Saturday, March 16, 2013

A flight to Omaka and back

Late yesterday I booked a flight in the Wellington Aero Club's Cessna 172N, ZK-FLT. Today I arrived at the Club and was asked if I would fly over to Omaka [NZOM] with another pilot so he could pick up Nanchang CJ6A, ZK-MAO out of maintenance. This involved a change of plane to Piper PA28-161, ZK-MBG.

I was current [just], and with Derek and a Club instructor doing the flying over to Omaka off we headed. It was an uneventful flight over, and soon enough we were on the ground. A quick stop and a preflight later and  I headed off to do a couple of circuits before heading back to Wellington.

The circuit at Omaka was very quiet... just me and one other aircraft... it was a beauty though - the Avro 652A Anson Mk1, ZK-RRA! No pictures unfortunately, but being only just current on type, it was better that I concentrated on the task at hand... After two touch-and-goes I headed back to Wellington. Apart from a bit of rust, everything went well and it was a fun time.

Anyway, here are some pictures. There is only one from Omaka and a couple back in Wellington. Top to bottom are:

Downwind for Omaka Aerodrome [NZOM], runway 30. Note the difference between the irrigated and very dry areas.
Grumman American AA-5A, ZK-DLL, registered to a Wellington address
Kawasaki BK117 B2, ZK-HLF, Westpac rescue helicopter based at Wellington




No comments: