Thursday, November 24, 2011

Jetstar - Wellington to Auckland supersonic flights?

I'm looking at booking flights to/ from Auckland for next February. I'll be flying Air New Zealand, but I thought for a laugh, I'd look at the Jetstar website.

They say they are cheaper, but I wanted to see if this is true, and if so, by how much.

OK, so this is not a scientific test, but I got more than I bargained for!

Firstly - they were cheaper, by a miserly NZD$10 a sector when you include 20kg baggage [same as Air NZ], although Air NZ would give me status points and I would have to pay extra for those on Jetstar. So, much of a muchness.

The big difference came in flight times. Air NZ indicates a 1 hour flight [Boeing 737-300 or Airbus 320-100/200]. For one of Jetstar's flights [Airbus A320], they say 1 hour and 5 minutes, for the other, 5 minutes!!! Given that they Airbus A320 is not supersonic, I doubt it... :-) Still, it would be nice! Screenshot below [click for a larger image]:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No for $59 you've paid for the first 5 minutes. The extra hour will cost you another few hundred.

Rodney said...

Maybe, but at least they are not as bad as this airline: http://news.yahoo.com/airline-passengers-asked-extra-cash-fuel-115831926.html

At least, not yet!