Sunday, November 01, 2009

Getting high :-)

After yesterday's flight to Masterton, I thought I would do something a little different today. Today's flight was a reasonably short [1.5 hour] sightseeing flight to the southern part of the east coast of the North Island. I went as far north as Flat Point aerodrome [ICAO code: NZFT], but didn't really get close to it... because I was up at 13,000 feet for the first time :-)

I took my usual aircraft, a Piper PA28-181, ZK-TDJ, and if it wasn't for the limitation of 13,000' without oxygen, I reckon it would have easily gone higher. As you'll see from the picture, I was still doing about 90 knots indicated straight and level and prior to this it was still climbing at least 300 feet/min, with two people on board and we started with full fuel tanks.

The second picture is from later in the flight as we descended to about 4,300 feet approaching Palliser Bay in the southern Wairarapa area.

7 comments:

GlennAv8r said...

yes Im jealous and wish I could have come.

Rodney said...

Yeah, it was fun. You'll just have to take yourself up then. Pick a really nice day - you don't want to be picking around cloud or playing in turbulance.

Oh yeah - today was near on perfect :-)

GlennAv8r said...

I only fly on really nice days.... call me old fashioned.

Rodney said...

Smart move!

Hindsfeet said...

Beautiful perspective in that second photo....love these aerial shots of yours, keep 'em coming!

Barnes and Noble FINALLY got my book in for me ("Freedom Flight") so can't wait to start plowing in...

...and something new on my horizon as well...a friend gave me the gift of a soaring lesson which I have yet to book, but I am very excited to experience being a "human kite" as I imagine it to be ; ) I'll post some pics of the event (hopefully soon!) : )

Rodney said...

Hello "Hindsfeet". Enjoy the book, and especially enjoy the glider flight! It would be good to see some photos on your site.

Cheers,

Rodney

[site: http://hindsfeet-birdseyeview.blogspot.com/ for anyone out there who is interested]

Flyinkiwi said...

Nice one Rodney. I must do something similar at some point.