Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Classic Fighters 2009 #15: SPITFIRE!!

Yeah, you can see in the post title, I'm pretty excited!!

Wow! I finally get to see a real Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IX, ZK-SPI. WOW! It's up close and get to see it in the air!

The Supermarine Spitfire must be one of the best known aircraft of World War 2, particularly amongst those of us in the Commonwealth. The Spitfire is one of those aircraft that exemplifies the saying If it looks right, it'll fly right. This particular aircraft is owned by Brendan Deere, nephew of Al Deere - a World War 2 RAF fighter ace - and carries the markings used by Al Deere when he was Wing Commander at Biggin Hill.

This aircraft only finished it's fight tests earlier in April, so it was really good to see it being put through its paces at Classic Fighters so soon. For more specific information on this aircraft, including a load of photos, click here! I understand that the aircraft is still based at RNZAF Base Ohakea [from where the flight test programme was carried out].

Enough of my irrelevant ramblings [rantings?]. Here's the photos. I took all but the last one which was supplied by David Brewer - another aviation fella from the Wellington Aero Club.

Did I say WOW? :-)



P.S. Just in case anyone is wondering, this is my favourite aircraft of the show :-)

No comments: