Saturday, August 16, 2008

RAAF at Wellington

I was at the aero club today [surprise, surprise!], just hanging around and watching the commercial flights come and go. There was not much "light" stuff today with winds up to 40 knots and a fair amount of crosswind.

I was happy to spot a Royal Australian Air Force C130 Hercules down on the Air Movements Base apron. What I did not expect was that there would soon be a second C130 on the apron. Being a Hercules, I first noticed the exhaust smoke then the aircraft :-)

I managed to get a number [perhaps an understatement] of pictures of the second aircraft, and later noticed it had an inscription on the front-left side of the fuselage. It appears to say 20000 Hours Flying then something else that I cannot read on my pictures. Any ideas??

Anyway, here are the pictures.

[Post edited - many thanks to Mike Condon of MRC Aviation for the correction :-)]

RAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 on approachRAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 HerculesRAAF C130 Hercules

2 comments:

MRCAviation said...

Hi Rodney
I think the first C130 you noticed with the "05" on the front was another RAAF C130 A97-005 with this aircraft crossing the Tasman late Friday.

Fantastic photos! Great to see sunshine!

Cheers Mike (MRC Aviation)

Rodney said...

Hi Mike,

Opps... mea maxima culpa!

Many thanks for the correction.

I really should have taken the time to check first :-( It's even got different paint than the RNZAF aircraft.

You're right about the sunshine [certainly makes a change!]. What the photos don't show is the wind... a big westerly component made for some interesting approaches during the day.