Friday, February 29, 2008

RNZAF Ohakea Open Day 2008

I noticed a few weeks ago that the RNZAF is having their annual open day at Ohakea airbase on 16 March 2008. I have not been to one of these for many many years, so I think I might pop along this year.

The Airforce website indicates that the base will be open from 9am until 3pm [I understand that the displays start after 10am]. If you do go to the website, the "poster" indicates that an F-111 and a C-17 will be there, although no mention is made of these types lower down on the page. Even so, it looks like each RNZAF type will be present, as well as a range of interesting "civil" types, including a Spitfire, Trojan, DC3 and a couple of P-40's! Ok, so it's not Wanaka, but it should be good day. Oh yeah - admission, $10 family, $5 adult and $2 child.

It is possible to fly in, although I'm not sure that I will be doing that. If any of you are going to be there, and might want to meet up, leave a comment and we'll work out the logistics in the next week or so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah mate don't drive a good low level strike into Ohakea be a hoot.

Sluf7

Rodney said...

Would be good... The only type I am current on is already booked out for later that day, not no can do :-(

It'll be an early start to drive, but quite do-able!

Cheers,

Rodney

Flyinkiwi said...

Chris (from Flying for Dummies) and myself are planning to attend. We'll either fly down in the Arrow (keep an eye out for ZK-DQV) or drive down if the weather isn't that great. Might see you there.

Rodney said...

I'll be in in PA28 [got current last weekend], so yeah - would be good to meet.