Sunday, December 16, 2007

Taranaki Community Rescue Helicopter

Now this is a picture that I am particularly happy with [if I do say so myself!]. It is a Taranaki-based rescue helicopter that visited Wellington earlier today. I snapped this as it was departing, and it turned out surprisingly well. I particularly like the illusion of an air-to-air shot with the lack of ground features, even though in reality I was about 3 feet AGL [above ground level] and the helicopter was probably not much more than 150 - 200 feet AGL.

Unfortunately I did not get its registration and so, not being a helicopter buff in any respect, I can't even tell you what type it is [I'm hoping someone can enlighten me... hint... hint...!], much less any other details.

Taranaki-based Rescue Helicopter

6 comments:

Matt said...

I saw the picture and the Koala sprang to mind. Checked up and it was. An ITR A119 Koala

Taranaki Rescue Chopper Site - http://www.trht.org.nz/index.php?menuid=71

CAA - http://www.caa.govt.nz/Script/Aircraft_Hist.asp?Aircraft_ID=6855
Looks like it's ZK-ITR

Rodney said...

Matt,

Thanks for this! I knew that someone would know what it was. Thanks also for the website references!

Rodney

Flyinkiwi said...

Get used to seeing it because the RNZAF are going to be buying 5 A109's to fill the Light Utility Helicopter spec. Visually its pretty much the same helicopter as the 119 except the 109 has twin turbines and retractable wheeled undercarriage.

Rodney said...

Thanks Euan - can't wait to see them one day - not often that the RNZAF gets new kit.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rodney,
Just a note to let you know that it is as Matt has said. This is our new (8 Mths old) Agusta A119 Koala. Registered ITR. It is a single engine (Pratt and Whitney 1002 SHP) aircraft, configured for two stretchers with Flt Nse or Medics, 1,400 kg hook load and 450 lb variable speed Breeze Eastern winch. She's currently in Auckland having floats and a night sun fitted. Capable of seating eight (incl Pilot) she's an awesome machine which we in Taranaki are very pleased with and extremely proud of. Keep an eye out and you'll see us in and out of Wellington Hospital fairly regularly. You're most welcome to drop in and see us if your through New Plymouth.

Rodney said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, and the invite!

Cheers,

Rodney