Saturday, December 29, 2007

Armee de L'Air CASA CN-235 at Wellington

I spotted a French Air Force [Armee de l'Air] CASA CN-235 at Wellington today. I'm not sure when it arrived, but I did see it leave this morning. This is the second time that I spotted one of these departing Wellington. The first time was a year or so ago, when I mistook it for a Transall C-160 [the two aircraft are fairly similar at first glance].

While it is somewhat smaller then a C130 Hercules [including of 2 engines!], it has a similar configuration to the C130 with a high wing, "mid" tail and a rear loading ramp.

The first picture is of it parking on the RNZAF Air Movements apron at Wellington, the second taxiing and the third, airborne off runway 34.

French CASA CN-235French CASA CN-235French CASA CN-235

2 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

Looks kind of like the C-27J Spartan.

Rodney said...

Yeah it does a bit. Also very close to the Transall C-160. I've checked this one however :-) If you look at the tail of the aircraft in the second picture, you'll see the "CN-235"