Saturday, July 14, 2007

BFR time

I'm almost due for my BFR [Biennial Flight Review], so instead of a normal scenic I went up and did some practice. With a fight of just under an hour I managed two simulated FLWOP [Forced Landings With Out Power], a few turns and a couple of circuits.

Next Saturday I've got another flight. Hopefully I'll have time get all that in plus steep turns and some stalls. After that I should be ready for the BFR flight. Well see!

Anyway, here's a picture of an Ardmore Flying School C172R visiting Wellington Aero Club on its way to Christchurch. The C172R has a 160hp fuel injected engine and like all later model C172's flap is limited to 30 degress max. Vfe (10 degrees) is 110 knots with the remainder limited to 85 knots. I guess I kinda like the 'R' model as I did my C172 rating on this model a few years ago.

C172R

5 comments:

Chris Nielsen said...

Our club has an R model and an M model, I have spent most of my time flying the M, and now the R seems like a spaceship :) So new, and quiet, and modern! Also much heavier on the controls..

Rodney said...

HiChris,

Yeah, they are OK, although the SP model is even better :-)

Rodney

Chris Nielsen said...

Yeah, I'm sue they're awesome but I'm more of a Piper man nowadays, and my recent trip to Wellys in a 172 would probably have been nicer in a Piper, I daresay...

Rodney said...

I prefer Pipers also, but the C172 at Wellington is a really good price :-)

Flyinkiwi said...

I must have about 80 hours in a 172R now. I like it because when you fly it well it rewards you. Try flying it out of trim and you'll be one tired pilot at the end of the flight.